Monday, April 11, 2005

Virginal thoughts from Olive Oil

I had to restock the olive oil this weekend. I was looking at the different bottles, trying to find vigin and extra virgin. Seriously, I do it mostly by look, since the extra is usually lighter than the virgin. However, it occured to me that I needed to figure out what the word virgin was in swedish. Not as hard as I thought it would be.

So, I pick up three bottles of Olive Oil. The first is rather dark and says, "Olivolja." Okay, any phucktard can tell that it's olive oil. If you've any doubts they've even pictures on the front. Then I look at a lighter oil, "Jungfru olivolja." Okay that's got to be the virgin. Then the third,"extra jungfru olivojla." Sweet, extra is a cognate. So I walk to the counter with my newly acquired extra virgin olive oil. Purchase. go home.

On the walk home, I start to chuckle to myself. "Jungfru" means vigin huh? HA. I start smiling. It's just funny. "Fru" means wife. "Ung" means young or youth. Somewhere I think ung had a 'juh' sound at the frount, and it's dropped now. SO we have Young Wife. It's just such a telling history that virgin = young wife, as in your young wife passed to you as a virgin. How quaint and traditional. I just bought extra young wife olive oil. Anyways, I thought it was funny.

~B

Listed on BlogShares